Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Touch of Vintage Asian Inspiration


It's been ages since I've posted!  After a very busy winter and spring (I've added professional sign maker to my resume) I'm finally feeling like my feet are under me.  Managing two businesses, from home, can be overwhelming but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Today's outfit is a sundress in lime green with dots of white and black with black shoulder straps and trim at the neckline.  It is home sewn by yours truly from a 1955 pattern.  It is not well sewn - there are a few wonky seams and a strange little gap under the arm!  I like it though and will use the pattern again and see if I can improve on the next one.

The skirt of the dress is fantastic - a full circle.  Note to self: sew fishing weights into the hem.  I actually flashed the entire parking lot of Kroger grocery store this afternoon when a gust of wind took me by surprise.  Sadly I was not wearing a crin which would've looked a heck of a lot sexier than the plain white slip I wore.  I was laughing so hard - first the back flew up over my shoulders and as I reached back to settle it the front flew up in face, I was a sight.  To all of my fellow shoppers - you're welcome for the comic relief I provided.

The sweater is magnificent - 1950s lambswool lined in silk crepe with the most amazing beading.  Asian characters (wish I knew what it said), a rickshaw on front and a fab pagoda on the back.  I purchased it from the lovely Nicole of Bombshell Shocked.  




The earrings are from the every-so stylish Melanie at Vintage Fashion Boutique.  Celadon (they aren't quite as yellow in real life as they look in the pic) painted metal Buddhas dangle from pagoda studs.  1950s clip ons at their finest.  I love them and bought them specifically to wear with this sweater.  I do have a growing collection of asian inspired vintage jewelry - I'll have to post some more photos!



Household note - I haven't had the time to sew anything since last fall so I'm really hoping to carve out some time and space to make a new dress.  Better news from the garden though - I realized today that the enormous flowering shrub that appeared a few years ago is an elderberry plant!!  I have already found a recipe for elderberry jelly.........and wine!  Yep - I'm going to try my hand at wine making.  Sadly the recipe says you should wait a year before drinking it - I'm sure that won't happen in this house.  We'll be too curious to wait that long.

Elderberry flowers

If you're looking to add a little Asian style to your vintage wardrobe here's a great swim suit from my shop.



Thanks for reading and of course I'd love to have you stop by my eBay shop - that's the link up there!  I'd love to hear from you - leave a comment!
Until next time....Happy Vintage Hunting!
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment