Friday, August 30, 2013

A Labor Day Weekend Heat Wave....and cool vintage earrings!

All week it's been ungodly hot here in Omaha.  The kind of high humidity and heat that actually gives you goosebumps when you step outside.  Tanks and shorts have been my go-to outfits of choice for the last few days but this morning I was thinking about my granny who suffered from a lifetime of Baltimore summers.  She and the lovely ladies of her generation (and every generation before) still looked beautiful despite the sweltering summers.  So today, with a heat index of 107ish I wore a pretty cotton frock from the late 50s of black and white gingham.



This poor dress has been in the donate pile so often, but I keep pulling it out!  It is held together by about 15 safety pins and missing a slew of buttons.  It also has a nice repair on the right butt cheek!  Still its crisp, and looks pretty, if you don't looks too close!  I especially like the collar and the darling peaked pocket!
The other reason I love it is it's too big!  I rarely find vintage dresses that fit let alone ones that are a smidge too large, and on a hot day a loose dress is perfection!  The vintage stretch red belt with the black and red Lucite buckle keeps the dress from looking potato-sackish.

The drawback to any white cotton dress is the neccesity of a slip - I don't mind slips at all but on a day like today the last thing I needed was another layer!  I decided on a purple and black stunner!!  (Celebrating my Baltimore heritage in Ravens colors!)
Lastly, on a hot day I don't wear a lot of jewelry - my favorite bangles and necklaces are saved for cooler weather....but earrings are easy in hot weather and these 1960s novelty thermometer earrings actually work!


Here's a 60s beauty for hot end of summer days!!



Thanks for reading and of course I'd love to have you stop by my ebay shop - that's the link up there!  I'd love to hear from you!
Until next time....Happy Vintage Hunting!
Carrie

2 comments:

  1. what a fantastic slip you have on under that dress! Such a seemingly simple article of clothing, but a wonderful effect on us men :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how a little glimpse of lace can be so much sexier than a micro mini skirt!

    ReplyDelete